History in the making.

Many people might not know it but there has been a movement against discrimination and racism going on for a long time in Japan. I have been fortunate to see what I felt was historical work being done.

On July 28 I attended two meetings coordinated by IMADR. I sat in on the prepratory and debriefing sessions that preceeded and followed the public meeting with MoFA on anti-discrimination legislation.

I would have joined the meeting had I sent in my form early enough of MoFA

There were people from all over Japan, representing different populations - Zainichi, Ni-kei, non-Japanese wives and children, foreign labourers etc. - but all related to discrimination issues. There was such a buzz of energy and I was pleasantly surprised at how well everyone worked to gether.

I think this was mostly due to Morihara's (IMADR's Secretary-General) effective facilitation, and coordination of the group. Discussion could have easily gone in 1001 different directions but I think his leadership is what held the group together.

Although many people were saying that the meeting was terrible Debito Arudou said the meeting was not so bad and that Morihara's closing comments really helped round out the meeting.

Morihara's proposal for the creation of anti-discrimination network of organizations was very clear, concrete and focused on long term goals.

I expect to get more involved in this movement and hope to get more PSC people involved too - watch this space for news or get the real info from IMADR in English or Japanese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

あなたも起業家、投資家になりませんか

Translators and Proofreaders needed

パネルディスカッション「東北における事業復興への取り組み」