Advocacy and coalition development

I feel like everyone I talk to these days talks about advocacy. Half the time I am not sure what they actually mean by advocacy and/or i have to remind myself that there is no consesnus on what it really is in Japanese.

The common questions that come to me:
* Why do NGOs need to do advocacy work?
* Why don't more NGOs in Japan do advocacy work?
* Isn't advocacy work dangerous and/or too political?
* How do you do it?

Another area of discussion I have a lot is about why coalitions do not work in Japan - I am still looking for the answers to this. Some of the ones I have been given:
* NGOs are too philososphical and can not compromise thier mission
* Lack of organizational capacity
* Charismatic leadership issues
* Lack of staff interest
* Desire or pressure for consensus
* Lack in understanding of the need and or purpose of coalitions.
* Lack of NGO interest or understanding of the citizen role in the democratic process.
* Lack of trust between specific group leaders
I am not sure if these really are the difinitive reasons.

I had a few interesting talks this week - one with a person who is researching the anti-discrimination movement in Japan. IMADR is braving rough waters in getting diverse groups together and coordinating a response to the government.

I spoke to another person I met a the BBQ about the possible cooridnation of a "Diet Door Knock" possibily precipitated by a Diet Tour for those who are not sure about advocacy work.

Any ideas about these issues? Let me know: psc@skillsbuild.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

あなたも起業家、投資家になりませんか

Translators and Proofreaders needed

パネルディスカッション「東北における事業復興への取り組み」